HVAC 101: Everything You Need to Know
Keeping it Cool!
Home air conditioners are the unsung heroes of summer. These systems cool your home by removing heat and moisture from the air. If you can better understand the components of your air conditioner, you’ll know what to do when it’s time to make repairs.
Homes that have central air conditioners usually have components both in and outside of the house. Each component has a specific job, and they all work together to cool your home.
The evaporator coil has freon running through it. As heat is removed from the air, it passes over it’s chilled surface.
The condenser pressurizes the refrigerant gas and sends it to the condenser coil.
The evaporator coil works with the air handler to distribute air throughout the house.
Central a/c units use air ducts to intake warm air and circulate the cool air through the home.
How does it work?
The furnace pulls warm air from the house through a vent Then, the warm air passes over the evaporator coil and is sent back into the home through the ducts.
The refrigerant is then pumped outside to the condenser. The condenser unit sends refrigerant through the compressor tubing to allow it to cool as it returns to the evaporator coil.
As the cooled refrigerant is returned to the evaporator coil, the cycle begins again.
Keep it working!
Regular preventative maintenance will help your unit run more efficiently, and last longer! Doing these few simple things will make a big difference!
- Replace your air filter regularly. This can lower your energy usage by 5-15%!
- Use your home’s ceiling fans to better circulate cool air
- Contact a HVAC company to clean, inspect, and recharge your unit
It Won’t Run Forever! Could a Home Warranty help?
Despite the best maintenance and preventative measures, it is inevitable that you’ll eventually be faced with an air conditioner breakdown. Knowing what to do in the event of your unit breaking can be stressful, overwhelming and potentially costly. Home Protection of America (HPOA) Home Warranties can cover HVAC repairs and replacement costs- and eliminate the stress.
- With two low cost plan options, you have choices over what is covered!
- Use who you trust! For repairs, you can use any fully licensed repair technician that meets all state and local regulations that you prefer!
- Claims can be filed 24/7!
- No hidden fees. There’s no deductible, service, or trade fees – ever!